Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Union

It's official. I knew it would be happening sooner or later. Our kids have organized themselves. I've seen the signs. The one-at-a-time-questions-so-mom-can-get-no-peace days. The waking up one at a time, and as soon as one goes to sleep, another wakes up game. The sending of the union representative to ask for more rights and privileges. The work stoppages. The contract negotiations. The grievances.
Why, just the other day, Joey came to me (I'll refer to Ben and I as "Management" from now on, and the kids as "the Union") with a very serious grievance. We were leaving Grandma Jane's house after playing with the Utah cousins, and with hands on hips, he said, "Mom! You are ruining my life! You are taking all the fun out!" I told him to have his Union Rep file a formal written grievance and hand it in to top management (Ben). I'll get back to him in a couple of months. We'll go through the mediation process, and I'm hoping it won't result in a strike.
I will keep you informed of all future Union/Management issues.

1 comment:

  1. I just checked the management job description and it clearly states that ruining lives and having no fun is well within our rights...so he's got nothin'.
    Daniel says he's pretty sure our kids have already joined that union too!

    ReplyDelete